Steel, silver, gilding
Overall: 40 x 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 in. ( 101.6 x 10.8 x 8.3 cm )
Dress sword with straight, triangular, evenly tapered steel blade with incurving sides decorated with etched scrolls and insignia highlighted with gilding; beaded, openwork silver hilt made in four separate pieces consisting of: double shell counter-guard, knuckle-bow with small quillon, pas d'ane, grip, and ovoid pommel.
According to the donor, this sword was used by Clarkson Crolius, Sr. (1773-1843) when he laid the cornerstone of the Tammany Society's new building in 1812. In 1811, Crolius was Grand Sachem (a title derived from Native American usage) of the Society of St. Tammany, a political organization formed in New York City in 1788. The society met in a hall on Spruce Street from 1798 to 1812 and in another at Nassau and Frankfort Streets from 1812 to 1868. This sword is probably associated with the second location.
Gift of Ronald K. Brown
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.