Overall: 41 x 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 in. ( 104.1 x 21.6 x 21.6 cm )
carved: on face: "26" and "4" carved: on top: "+"
Upright rectangular marble surveyor's monument with carved number "26" on one face and "4" on another; surveyor's cross-marks carved on top.
This surveyor's monument stood at the corner of Fourth Avenue and East 26th Street, where it had been placed under direction of the Commissioners appointed by the New York Legislature in 1807 to lay out streets on Manhattan Island north of Houston Street. It was dug up in 1890 during excavations for the old Madison Square Garden and was on display there near the Tower elevator until 1908.
Gift of the Madison Square Garden Corporation
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.