Overall: 4 1/8 x 4 1/4 in. ( 10.5 x 10.8 cm ) Bowl: 3 1/8 x 4 in. ( 7.9 x 10.2 cm ) Part (cover): 4 1/4 x 1 1/2 in.
stamped: on base and cover: "Myers" in script, in a conforming surround
Wrought silver sugar bowl and cover; inverted pear-shaped body on a cast, stepped foot; concave shoulder with a vertically applied, plain rim; domed, stepped and molded cover with a vertically applied bezel fitting over the rim of the bowl; cast, stepped handle, smaller than the foot of the bowl, but matching; maker's marks on the base and the center of the cover.
From about 1755 to 1765, "double-bellied" sugar bowls were popular in New York City. The shapely form echoed the silhouette of pyriform tea, coffee, and milk pots as well as the abundant curves found on high-style Rococo objects of the period. Bowls of this design, with a distinctive reel top, served multiple functions: the bowl provided an elegant container for storing and serving sugar, and the cover could be inverted to serve as an additional small dish. Myer Myers produced at least five sugar bowls nearly identical to this one; judging from these numbers, he probably kept examples stocked in his shop. Family association links this bowl to the donor's ancestor Mary Noel (1743-1828), who married merchant Anthony Lispenard Bleecker (1741-1816) in New York City in 1763.
Gift of Miss Helen M. MacDonald
Probable descent: Mary Noel (1743-1828), who married Anthony Lispenard Bleecker (1741-1816); to their son Leonard Bleecker (1786-1841), who married Sarah Elizabeth Popham (1791-1882); to their daughter Mary Noel Bleecker (1812-1890), who married Pierre E. F. MacDonald (1814-1844); to their son Pierre Fleming MacDonald (1841-1922), who married Mary Young (1852-1910); to their daughter Helen Murray MacDonald (1882-1970), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.