Stoneware plate excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 5/8 x 7 1/2 in. ( 1.6 x 19 cm )
Stoneware plate; white salt-glazed with barley and basket pattern on rim.
This plate was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The cannonball belonged to the British Army, or was part of stores captured after the American surrender.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.