Stoneware fragment excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Overall: 2 5/8 x 1 1/8 in. ( 6.7 x 2.9 cm )
Stoneware fragment; red-bodied stoneware base fragment with wavy, engine-turned lines.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.