Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Stirrup

Object Number: 
INV.6200.330
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 3/4 x 4 5/8 in. ( 14.6 x 11.7 cm )
Description: 
Iron stirrup; thin, cylindrical arms extend from flat oval base to form a rectangle with looped fastener at top.
Gallery Label: 
This stirrup was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The stirrup was probably worn by a British or Hessian officer's horse.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group