Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Stickpin

Object Number: 
INV.12675.8
Date: 
1883-1920
Medium: 
Metal, enamel
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/8 x 5/8 x 2 7/8 in. ( 1 x 1.6 x 7.3 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: reverse, around outer edge: "HUGUENOT SOC. / OF AMERICA." stamped: reverse, center: "No. 38 / MARIA D. B. MILLER"
Description: 
Metal stickpin with the head in the form of a sunflower enameled yellow with brown at the center, inscription on reverse, pin is crimped at the middle.
Gallery Label: 
This stickpin belonged to Maria D. B. Miller, and commemorated her membership in the Huguenot Society of America. The first permanent European settlement in the New York metropolitan area was formed in 1624. Huguenot refugees from the Netherlands and the Germanys accounted for many of the colonists who moved to New Amsterdam in the following years. The Huguenot Society of America formed in 1883 in New York City to preserve Huguenot history.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Wilmot T. Cox, 1942
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group