Overall: 8 x 10 3/4 in. ( 20.3 x 27.3 cm )
Verso inscribed and signed at center in black crayon: "September 22d 1863 / Stevenson, Jackson Co Tenn. / Prinicpal depot of / comm & Q. M's goods of the / Cumberland army / J.F.E. Hillen"
Civil War Drawings Collection. Although inscribed as being in Tennessee, the Depot at Stevenson, Jackson County, was in Alabama.
The depot at Stevenson was a major junction for the Memphis and Charleston and the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroads. Fort Harker, constructed by Union Army soldiers and freed slaves in the summer of 1862 for the protection of the critical junction, stood on a broad hill east of the town overlooking Stevenson's strategic railroad lines, supply depots, and warehouses. In addition to the fort, the Union Army established a medical facility and a refugee camp at Stevenson, Alabama.
Jackson County Tennessee remained under Union control during the Civil War. The only exception was in September 1862 when Confederate forces, under the command of General Albert Gallatin Jenkins, briefly gained control of the county.
John T. Kavanaugh Collection, Rutherford, New Jersey, 1945
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.