Wood, metal, glass, celluloid
One of two tall stereograph slide viewers that each hold more than 20 slides. Probably placed in a hotel or theatre lobby for public use, this stereopticon has viewing lenses on both sides so two people could view the same slide concurrently while a knob on one side was rotated to change the image and a lever for focussing. The top opens for loading slides and adjusting light. A metal plate on the front is embossed "Alex-Beckers/ New York/ Patents/ April 7, 1857/ March 1 & 29, 1859/ April 12, 1859/ Dec. 13, 1859".
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.