Stephen Van Rensselaer (1764-1839)
Watercolor on ivory
Overall: 3 1/2 x 2 7/8 in. ( 8.9 x 7.3 cm )
A descendant of the first patroon, Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, Stephen was the son of Stephen (1742-69) and Catherine (Livingston) Van Rensselaer. A Federalist, he served in the state assembly and the state senate, and was lieutenant governor from 1795-1801. From 1822 to 1829 he was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives. In 1824 he established a school at Troy, N.Y., which later became Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The subject was the great-grandfather of the donor.
Gift of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer V, in memory of Stephen Van Rensselaer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.