St. Peter's Church, Perth Amboy, New Jersey
Watercolor and graphite on paper
Overall: 7 1/8 x 9 1/2 in. ( 18.1 x 24.1 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscription: lower, ink: "Mde angelica C. Window in her absence august 1809. amboy"
Inscribed outside image in brown ink: "Mde angelica C. window in her absencE august 1809 amboy"
Chartered in 1718, St. Peter's Episcopal Church was erected in 1719 on a knoll overlooking Raritan Bay at what is now Rector and Gordon streets, Perth Amboy. During the American Revolution the church tower was used as a vantage point by the Americans to keep watch on British movements on Staten Island across the bay. It was demolished in 1852 to make way for the present structure, which was erected in 1853 on the same site.
De Neuville family, France; E. De Vries, Paris, 1928; Columbia University Press Book Store, NYC, 1929; Old Print Shop, NYC, 1953
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.