Overall: 5 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 in. (14.6 x 3.2 x 1.9 cm)
Sterling silver souvenir spoon; on obverse of handle, from finial to bowl, bridge view, “BROOKLYN BRIDGE 1883”, and “THE BROOKLYN / CHURCH / 1776”; gold-washed on bowl, barn-like church and “CITY OF CHURCHES”; on reverse, view of seventeenth-century docks.
This spoon is part of a collection of 407 New York-themed spoons donated by journalist and urban critic Roberta Brandes Gratz in 2009. During the 1880s, American travelers began collecting spoons in earnest as souvenirs of European cities. Anticipating a demand for American souvenir flatware, a few savvy U.S. manufacturers began patenting designs around 1889. New York City subjects appeared on spoons almost immediately. Gorham became the first major factory to produce New York City spoons, joining the craze in 1891. By 1893, Tiffany & Co. offered eighteen different souvenir spoons featuring New York City landmarks at prices ranging from $2 to $5.
Gift of Roberta Gratz
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.