Spike from the U.S.S. Niagara on wooden mount w/label
Overall: 1 x 9 x 4 1/2 in. ( 2.5 x 22.9 x 11.4 cm )
engraved: on brass plaque: "U.S.S. NIAGARA/ 1813" printed and handwritten: in card affixed to back of mount: "Rec'd from/ Loe. W. Hesselman/ Rear Admiral, N.Y. Naval Militia/ Captain, U.S. Naval Reserve/ July 21, 1952"
Iron spike or long nail moounted on wooden platform and labeled with brass plaque inscribed with "U.S.S. NIAGARA."
According to the accession records, this spike came from the U.S.S. Niagara, which was stationed on Lake Erie under the command of Admiral Oliver Hazard Perry during the War of 1812. The spike was obtained when the ship was restored for the celebration of the centennial of Admiral Perry's victory over the British. The restoration took place in Presque Isle, PA, under the command of Lt. Comm. N.L. Morrison of the PA Naval Militia of Erie, PA.
Gift of Rear Admiral Leo W. Hesselman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.