Spike excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
Overall: 8 x 3/4 x 1/4 in. ( 20.3 x 1.9 x 0.6 cm )
Iron spike excavated at Fort Ticonderoga.
This spike was excavated on October 3, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee on the shore of Lake Champlain at Fort Ticonderoga, in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and called Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under the command of Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne's army in June, 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.