Spectacles and case

Object Number: 
INV.7512a-c
Date: 
ca. 1850
Medium: 
Steel, glass; wood
Dimensions: 
Case: 1 x 5 1/8 x 1 3/4 in. ( 2.5 x 13 x 4.4 cm ) Overall (spectacles closed): 1 x 4 1/2 x 1 in. (2.5 x 11.4 x 2.5 cm
Description: 
Steel-frame spectacles with hinged side lenses ("Richardsons"); D-shaped green-tinted front lenses connected by crank bridge; D-shaped colorless glass hinged lenses; adjustable temples with pivot and elongated loops at ends. Oval wooden (maple?) case with sliding top; thumbnail indent at one end of top.
Gallery Label: 
"Richardson" spectacles, patented in 1797, featured four lenses, two of which could be swung away from the eye. The tinted lenses and side protection were favored by travelers to fend off glare and dust.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group