Overall: 1 x 2 7/8 x 2 1/8 in. ( 2.5 x 7.3 x 5.4 cm )
engraved: top center: "K A" scratched: below hinge: "1803" scratched: on the base: "P Burua" in script stamped: interior base: "HB" conjoined, roman letters
Wrought and seamed silver snuffbox; fluted, oval body with one straight side shaped for the hinge; straight, fluted sides, seamed below the hinge; hinged cover with an applied, molded vertical edge and an applied oval flange at front; tulip and engraved design on the flat, raised top with the initials, "K A" engraved in the center; gilt interior; maker's mark on the interior base.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.