Glass, cork, paper
Overall: 3 3/8 x 2 x 1 3/4 in. ( 8.6 x 5.1 x 4.4 cm )
printed: on label affixed to bottle, front: "AROMA/ROSARA/FRAGRANT [ilustration of three roses] AROMATIC/MANUFACTURED BY/GEO. W. HELME CO./EST. NEW YORK, N.Y. EST./1760 U.S.A. 1760" printed: on label affixed to bottle, proper right side: "SUPERIOR/INDO-A
Brown nonlead glass snuff bottle blown in a three-part mold with rudimentary neck, slightly rounded shoulder, square body with rounded corners, and indented base with mold seam; cork wedged in mouth (top sheared off), bottle sealed, probably filled with snuff; pasted on front and sides of bottle, paper label printed in black and red with bouquet of three roses below inscription beginning "AROMA ROSARA."
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Gift of Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.