Sixtieth Anniversary of the Rowfant Club
Bronze; paper, cardboard, cloth
case: 3 1/8 x 3 1/8 x 5/8 in. ( 7.9 x 7.9 x 1.6 cm ) diameter: 3 in. ( 7.6 cm )
inscription: reverse, in exergue, at right: "W.S." inscription: edge, lower center: "MEDALLIC ART CO. N.Y. bronze" inscription: case, inside lid, hand-written in blue ink: "to Mr Irving Olds/Pres of Grolier/Club & Member/of Rowfant Club/Greetings &/Best
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing beaver seated on open book and holding lit candle with open book on either side; legend: "THE ROWFANT CLUB/CLEVELAND." Reverse shows facade of the Rowfant Club building with legend: "SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY/1892-1952." Cream-colored square cardboard case.
The Rowfant Club was founded in 1892 in Cleveland, Ohio, and was named for Rowfant, the home of Frederick Locker-Lampson, a nineteenth-century English poet and book collector. The purpose of this bibliophile club was to provide a forum for critical study of books and the publication of privately printed editions for its members.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.