Sinkers (2) excavated at Fort Crown Point
largest: 7/8 x 1/2 x 1/4 in. ( 2.2 x 1.3 x 0.6 cm )
Lead sinkers excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York; fragments of lead pierced with hole.
These sinkers were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on October 15, 1941 on the shore of Lake Champlain at Fort Crown Point in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, garrisoned with American troops, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne. The sinkers were used for fishing.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.