Side chairs (pair)
each: 38 x 17 1/2 x 21 in. ( 96.5 x 44.4 x 53.3 cm )
Pair of mahogany Federal side chairs with serpentine crest rail and pierced vase-shaped splat with 5 ribs; trapezoidal seat with leather upholstery over the seat rails with ornamental brass tacks in straight row on (a) and swag formation on (b); slightly tapered front legs braced by rectangular side, rear, and medial stretchers.
According to the accession records, these side chairs belonged to Captain James Lawrence, a hero of the War of 1812. The leather upholstery may be original.
"Don't Give Up the Ship": A Catalogue of the Eugene H. Pool Collection of Captain James Lawrence (Salem: Peabody Museum, 1942), pp. 66-67 and illus.
The Eugene H. Pool Collection of Captain James Lawrence, Gift of Dr. Eugene H. Pool
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.