Side chairs (pair)
overall: 38 x 22 1/4 x 18 1/2 in.
Mahogany Chippendale side chair with scalloped crest rail with carved scrolls on ends; splat composed of radiating arches with a central pierced, pointed trefoil and 2 arches below; molded stiles; slightly trapezoidal slip seat; plain skirt, square legs, and plain rectangular side, rear, and medial stretchers.
According to the accession records, this chair and its mate came from the James Davidson Collection of New London and were purchased by Mrs. Blair from Israel Sack in 1934. The design on the back of these chairs is based on Chippendales "The Gentleman and Cabinet-Maker's Directory" of 1762, plate 12.
Gift of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.