Walnut, steel wire, textile
Overall: 33 1/4 x 20 1/2 x 18 in. ( 84.5 x 52.1 x 45.7 cm )
Impressed marks on rear of proper left leg: [H]UNZIGER; [P]AT APRIL 16, 1876; NY/MARCH/1869
Walnut side chair with square back containing six vertical turned spindles; turned front legs running on diagonal angle to connect with seat back; raked rear legs; U-shaped undercarriage. Original fabric-covered steel wire upholstery under modern seat cushion. Traces of red paint in rondels on seat back.
Barry R. Harwood, "The Furniture of George Hunzinger: Invention and Innovation in Nineteenth-Century America," (Brooklyn Museum of Art, 1997), pp. 50, 95.
According to the donor, the side chair was owned by two unmarried daughters of George Hunzinger, who lived in a spacious apartment at 37 Riverside Drive through the 1960s. The chair was later owned by a companion/caregiver of the sisters, and was acquired by Mr. Kane about five years ago from the daughter of the companion.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.