Overall: 15 7/8 x 8 in. ( 40.3 x 20.3 cm )
stamped: top arm: "PRATT/PRATT" (twice); "FR" (Possibly Frederick the Great)
Iron shovel blade; flat, rectangular blade with rounded front corners and two flat arms fastened together with spikes extending from back of blade; stamped marks on upper arm.
This shovel blade was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at a military camp at 238th Street and Riverdale Avenue in the Bronx, New York. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British troops and Hessian Chasseurs and Jagers until its abandonment in 1779.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.