Shoe sole excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
Leather, iron, brass
Overall: 8 1/4 x 2 1/4 in. ( 21 x 5.7 cm )
Leather shoe sole; pierced with brass and iron nails.
This shoe sole was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the barracks were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The small size of the shoe indicates that it was probably worn by a woman; the woman may have been the wife of a garrison soldier.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.