Shoe buckles (4) excavated at Revolutionary War barracks
largest: 1/2 x 2 in. ( 1.3 x 5.1 cm )
Brass shoe buckles; rectangular frames with decorative designs; one has an iron chape.
These shoe buckles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit near military barracks that extended along Bennett Avenue between 181st and 182nd Streets. The barracks were built after the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776, and were occupied by the British and Hessian garrisons of the fort until evacuation in 1783. The buckles were worn by British, Hessian, or Loyalist officers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.