Shoe buckles (3) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New York City
largest: 2 3/8 x 1/2 x 1/8 in. ( 6 x 1.3 x 0.3 cm )
Brass shoe buckles excavated at a military camp in Manhattan; one has an arched, circular frame; the other two have been bent from their original shape.
These buckles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, within the area of a British and Hessian camp between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. The British 38th Regiment occupied the camp during the summer of 1781.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.