Shoe buckle fragment excavated at a Colonial farm in New York
Overall: 3/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 1.9 x 3.2 cm )
Iron shoe buckle fragment; chape.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and William L. Calver from a refuse pit at the farmhouse of the Van Oblienis family, between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue at 176th Street. The house was built in 1704 and was part of a farm that extended between 175th and 181st Streets. By 1776 the farm had passed out of the Van Oblienis family, and the land below 178th Street was sold to Jacob Arden. The house was occupied by British soldiers; one may have discarded the buckle.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.