Overall: 4 5/8 x 1 7/8 in. ( 11.7 x 4.8 cm )
Iron shears excavated at Fort Haldimand; looped handles which extend through hinge into thin blades.
These shears were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The shears were probably part of a kit, possibly a surgeon's kit.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.