Shaving kit that belonged to John Pintard
Walnut, brass; ivory, leather
Case: 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 x 7 1/2 in. (5.7 x 5.7 x 19.1 cm)
Shield engraved: "S.V.B. / TO / J.P. / 1817. / E.B.S. / 1827."
Hinged rectangular box with rounded corners and brass inlay stringing around edge of top; fitted interior holds removable tray with cutout for scissors (missing) and straight razors (missing); removable panel with circular cutout, which probably held a mirror; inner cut-outs hold paddle-style razor strop in leather sleeve; tweezers (missing); shaving brush with turned ivory handle; toothbrush with ivory handle; and circular void for container of soap or powder. Engraved brass shield inset into center of top.
This shaving kit was owned by New-York Historical Society founder John Pintard (1759-1844). The engraved shield on the top of the box suggests that the shaving kit was originally presented to Pintard by Susan Vergereau Boudinot (1764-1854, Mrs. William Bradford), a friend of the Pintards. Susan's father was Elias Boudinot (1740-1821), the New Jersey lawyer and statesman and a close associate of John Pintard's. The engraving implies that Susan presented the box to Pintard in 1817. Ten years later, he in turn gave it to his grandson, Elias Boudinot Servoss (1827-1901), as a christening present. Presumably, Pintard transferred the shaving kit to his grandson to underscore the family ties between the Boudinot and Pintard clans.
Gift of Carlos B. Icaza
Susan Vergereau Boudinot (1764-1854) m. William Bradford; to John Pintard (1759-1844); to his grandson Elias Boudinot Servoss (1827-1901) m. Clarissa Lyman (b. 1868); to their daughter Mary Kathryn Servoss (1868-1897) m. Carlos Icaza de Arosomena (of Panama) (b. 1895); to their son Frank Highet Icaza m. B.A. Hungerford Latimer; to their son Carlos Boudinot Icaza, the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.