Sharps Breech-Loading Four Shot Pepperbox Pistol, Model 1A
Steel, gutta percha, brass, silver
Overall: 5 in. ( 12.7 cm ) Part (barrel): 2 1/2 in. (6.4 cm)
stamped: buttstrap: "51566" stamped: left frame: "C. SHARPS/PATENT 1859"; and on right frame: "C. SHARPS & CO./PHILADA./PA"
Steel, gutta percha, brass, and silver pistol; silver-plated brass frame; scroll-decorated gutta percha grips; stamped marks on frame and buttstrap.
According to accession records, this pistol belonged to First Lieutenant Abram P. Haring, a Civil War veteran of Company G, 132nd New York Volunteers. The pistol was part of a collection of mementoes given to the Montclair Art Museum by Ms. Haring in 1946. Haring was wounded and out of action in 1865.
Gift of Ms. Bess Haring, through the Montclair Art Museum
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.