Shako with pompon
Wool, leather, metal
Overall: 8 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 6 3/8 in. ( 21 x 26.7 x 16.2 cm )
in relief: on front insignia plate: "7" printed paper label: affixed inside top of crown: "From / BAKER & McKENNEY, / Manufacturers and Dealers in / Military Goods. / 63 Walker Street, / NEW YORK." handwritten in ink: on printed paper label: "L. B. Smit
Black wool felt shako with black patent leather top and trim; angled cylindrical crown with gilded metal insignia of the 7th Regiment, N.G.S.N.Y., attached to front; small, somewhat rectangular visor; chin strap secured at either side with a button embossed with crossed cannon (missing on right side); white pompon mounted above insignia; black leather sweatband.
According to New York City Directories, Baker & McKenney were located at 63 Walker Street from 1865 to 1866. The original owner of this shako, Lewis Bayard Smith, served a total of seven years in Company "H" of the Seventh New York Infantry, enlisting in 1860 and taking his discharge as a Sergeant in 1867. He was a member of the Veteran Association of the Regiment and also belonged to the Military Society of the War of 1812, Saint Nicholas Society, and Sons of the Revolution. Smith attended New York University and, later, entered the tea and raw silk importation business as a partner with his uncle.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.