Wood, tortoise shell, metal, cardboard, paper, textile, ivory, wax, gilding
overall (box): 4 1/4 x 8 7/8 x 6 1/2 in. ( 10.8 x 22.5 x 16.5 cm )
handwritten: on ivory tag attached to key: "Grand Mother Morris' / Tortoise shell Work Box" engraved: on plate at center of lid: "M E M" handwritten: on label glued to bottom: "J. B. MORRIS, JR."
Rectangular wooden sewing box with tortoise shell (mottled brown and yellow) veneer, with hinged lid, concave (Cavetto) molding, and spherical feet; inside lid, blue satin puckered into regular pattern; inside, cardboard tray covered with pale green paper with gilt edges, with large central compartment surrounded by smaller compartments, containing three wooden spools, one with gold thread, mother-of-pearl bobbin, two ivory bobbins, wax pear with gilded leaves, narrow book of chamois leaves with blue cover, six-pointed ivory thread winder with blue thread, colorless pressed glass scent bottle with metal cap, wooden form, metal thimble and ribbon winder in specially cut mounts, red and green stuffed pincushion, narrow mother-of-pearl case with tweezers and three ivory sticks, and 52 orange circles; in central tray, set of metal scissors and knife slotted into loops, and key; inside of box covered in pale green paper with padded bottom covered in pale blue satin.
This sewing box was owned by Mary Elizabeth Morris (1808-1851) of Yonkers, the wife of William Lewis Morris (1804-1864). It was probably a gift or a souvenir from a trip abroad.
Gift of John Babcock Morris, Jr.
According to accession records, this sewing box was originally owned by Mary Elizabeth (Babcock) Morris (1808-1851), grandmother of the donor. Mary Elizabeth Babcock (1808-1851), who married William Lewis Morris (1805-1864); to their son John Babcock Morris (b.1839), who married Mary E. Faitoute; to their son John Babcock Morris Jr. (1881-1957), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.