Section of tree with shrapnel
Overall: 71 x 10 in. ( 180.3 x 25.4 cm )
Section of pine tree with three shells embedded in one side; two shell ends are cylindrical and closed, and one is a curved fragment; log wrapped in wire mesh.
According to the accession records, this tree was cut down from the "Meyers farm" on the Chichamauga Battlefield near Chattanooga, where a battle was fought on September 19-20, 1863 between the Union Army under Roscrans and the Confederate Army under Bragg.
Gift of William M. V. Hoffman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.