Seamen's Retreat, Staten Island, New York City
Watercolor and brown ink on paper laid on canvas
Overall: 15 5/8 x 19 3/16 in. ( 39.7 x 48.7 cm )
signed: lower left: "G. Hart, del." dated: lower right: "April 1832" inscription: bottom center, ink: "Seamen's Retreat"
Signed and inscribed at lower left outside image in graphite: "G. Hart, del."; inscribed at lower right outside image: "April 1832"; at lower center outside image in graphite: "Seamen's Retreat"
This structure was opened in 1831 as a New York State hospital for the accommodation of sick and disabled seamen and passengers, and later was managed by the Marine Society of New York. In 1903 the property was purchased by the government, and is now operated by the United States Public Health Service. A later watercolor by Lars Christensen of the second building completed in 1836 on the same property is also in the Society's collection.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.