Overall: 3 1/4 x 2 5/8 x 1/8 in. ( 8.3 x 6.7 x 0.3 cm )
Y-shaped iron screwdriver with two flat, rectangular legs that extend into cylindrical leg which narrows to point.
This screwdriver was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit near a military camp and fort at Richmond, Staten Island. Built after the arrival of British forces under General William Howe in July, 1776, the fort was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The two rectangular legs of the screwdriver were used by soldiers to dismantle or assemble their muskets.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.