Scenes from the American Revolution: Fifth Liberty Pole on the New York Commons
Watercolor, gouache, black ink, and graphite on board
Overall: 19 x 7 3/8 in. ( 48.3 x 18.7 cm )
signature: lower left: "Chas. M. Lefferts" inscription: verso: "[typed labels]" inscription: on window mat: "[typed labels]"
Signed at lower left in red watercolor: "Chas. M. Lefferts"; inscribed along lower edge in brown watercolor: "Liberty Pole N.Y. City 1770"
The Liberty Pole was a symbol before which the Sons of Liberty assembled to pledge "their fortunes and their sacred honrs in the cuase of Liberty." The five Liberty Poles erected in New York before the outbreak of the American Revolution were a source of contention between the patriots and the British sholdiers stationed in the city. The first Liberty Pole was erected June 4, 1776, in what is now City Hall Park and was cut down on Aguust 10, 1766.
Gift of Charles MacKubin Lefferts
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.