Saw Mill and Flouring Mill of Samuel Mix, Alpine, New York
Graphite on paper
Overall: 5 1/4 x 8 1/2 in. ( 13.3 x 21.6 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscribed: graphite, lower: "Saw Mill and flouring Mill of / Uncle Samuel Mix, Alpine, N.Y." inscribed: graphite, verso: "North of Elmira, N.Y. / near Odessa"
Inscribed at lower center in graphite: "Saw Mill and Flouring mill of / Uncle Samuel Mix. Alpine N.Y."; verso inscribed at lower left in graphite: "North of Elmira NY / near Odessa"
The Alpine Flouring Mills were built at Alpine, Schuyler County, NY, southeast of Seneca lake, by Sylvester and Samuel Mix in 1851. The saw mill was buklt by Mallor and Mix probably about the same time. It was rebuilt and operated by Mix & Co. The Mix family came to Schuyler County about `8`6 when they first purchased land there. In 1860 Alpine was described as habing a flour mill, a saw mill, and a chair factory and 25 dwellings. The settlement was begun in 1801.
Gift of Lawrence B. Romaine
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.