Save St. Bart's
Circular badge with folding grip; silver colored with blue lettering " SAVE / ST. BARTS"
St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church was founded in New York City in 1835. Its current Park Avenue building was completed in 1919 in a modified Byzantine Revival style. Designated a New York City Landmark in 1967, the building is also on the United States National Register of Historic Places.
In 1981 a dispute developed between those who wanted to preserve the church building and its adjacent community house and open terrace without any changes, and those advocating commercial development based on the building’s air-rights. The United States District Court ruled in favor of the preservationists in 1989; the Supreme Court refused to consider the appeal in 1990.