Overall: 1 3/8 x 5 5/8 in. ( 3.5 x 14.3 cm )
impressed: on base: "+"
Molded pearlware ("spatterware") saucer with splayed walls and with sponged-on black and brown bands, underglaze decoration on rim and hand-painted stylized central image of a red rose with green foliage, black stem.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.