Update

Visitors ages 12 and older are required to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Learn more >

Saucer (5) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp

Object Number: 
1947.533.1a-e
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 1/4 x 4 3/4 in. ( 3.2 x 12.1 cm )
Description: 
Earthenware saucer; creamware.
Gallery Label: 
This saucer was excavated in 1919 by the Field Exploration Committee at 169th Street, within the area of a military camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The tea bowl may have owned by a soldier, by a member of a soldier's family, or by a camp follower.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group