Proof of Vaccination

New-York Historical requires all visitors age 12 and over to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Read more

Sauceboat

Object Number: 
1982.12b
Date: 
ca. 1791
Medium: 
Silver
Dimensions: 
Overall: 4 3/4 x 3 7/8 x 7 1/2 in. ( 12.1 x 9.8 x 19 cm )
Marks: 
engraved: the side right of the handle: "C E R" in foliate bright-cut script engraved: the side left of the handle: the Robinson family crest, a stag of the shield stamped: on the base: "V. V. & S." in a serrated rectangle besides a bald eagle with a sh
Description: 
Wrought silver sauceboat; deep, oval boat-shaped body, with a flared and gadrooned pie-crust rim and long, high and wide pouring lip; double c-scroll handle with a acanthus grip and solid scroll terminus, joined to and curved above the rim; three cast cabriole legs with trefoil knees and pad feet; engraved, "C E R" in foliate bright-cut script on the side right of the handle and engraved with the Robinson family crest, a stag of the shield, on the side left of the handle; makers'marks stamped on the base.
Gallery Label: 
These sauceboats belonged to Christopher and Esther Robinson of New York. Christopher Robinson's brother, Beverly, of Garrison, NY, lived in the house that became Benedict Arnold's headquarters during the Revolutionary War. It was at Robinson's home that Arnold completed his traitorous negotiations for the surrender of his command at West Point to the British. The Robinsons' were forced to flee to England when the treason was discovered. They returned to New York at the end of the war.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Pintard Fellows
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group