Ruins of the Claremont Inn, Riverside Park, New York City, Being Demolished
Graphite on paper
Overall: 10 x 14 in. ( 25.4 x 35.6 cm )
signed: lower left: "J.S. Held" inscription: lower right: "Claremont Inn/March 26, 1951"
Signed at lower left in graphite: "J. S. Held"; inscribed at lower right: "Claremont Inn / March 26, 1951"
Sketched on the day following its destruction by fire, the Claremont Inn stood on Riverside Drive on the line of West 126th Street, just north of Grant's Tomb. The remains were removed shortly afterward. At the time of the fire the artist resided nearby on Claremont Avenue.
Gift of Mrs. Julius Held
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.