Rifle or pistol ball excavated at Fort Ticonderoga
Overall: 1/2 in. ( 1.3 cm )
Lead rifle or pistol ball excavated at Fort Ticonderoga.
This rifle or pistol ball was excavated on September 30, 1935 by the Field Exploration Committee on the shore of Lake Champlain below Fort Ticonderoga, in New York. Built by the French in 1755 and named Carillon, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Ticonderoga, it was captured on May 10, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, under the command of Ethan Allen and Colonel Benedict Arnold, and recaptured by General Burgoyne's army in June, 1777.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.