Rifle-musket

Object Number: 
1862.8
Date: 
1861
Medium: 
Wood, steel, brass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 49 1/4 in. ( 125.1 cm ) Part (barrel): 33 in. (83.8 cm)
Marks: 
stamped: forward of hammer on lockplate: "1861/TOWER" ( stored in Tower of London) ; stamped crown at tail stamped: breech end of barrel: "25" (twice); two crossed scepters under a crown (also twice, post-1813 Birmingham proofs); "RP" (foliate, mark is u
Description: 
Wood, steel, and brass percussion rifle-musket; brass furniture; slotted and knurled steel ramrod; stamped marks forward of hammer and at tail of lockplate, on ramrod, forward band, left side of stock at wrist, tang of buttplate, and at bottom of buttstock; engraved mark on sideplate; stamped proofs at breech end of barrel.
Gallery Label: 
Beginning in 1860, many British Enfield firearms were imported into America under contract to both the Union and Confederate governments. By the end of the Civil War, Enfield rifles, muskets, and rifle-muskets had become primary infantry arms of the Confederacy, as well as valuable additions to the Union's arsenal. This rifle-musket was surrendered after the capture of Fort Pulaski, Georgia on April 11, 1862 by Union forces under General Henry W. Benham.
Credit Line: 
Gift of General Henry W. Benham
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group