Rifle and pistol balls (3) excavated at Fort Crown Point
largest: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Lead rifle and pistol balls excavated at Fort Crown Point, a fort at Lake Champlain in New York.
These rifle and pistol balls were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee on June 1st, 1935 at Fort Crown Point, at Lake Champlain in New York. Built by the French and called Fort St. Frederic, the fort was destroyed in 1759 in anticipation of its capture by General Amherst. Rebuilt as Crown Point, the fort was captured on May 11, 1775 by the Green Mountain Boys, and recaptured in June, 1777 by General Burgoyne.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.