Overall: 4 1/2 x 2 1/4 in. ( 11.4 x 5.7 cm )
White silk ribbon printed in gold "MUNICIPAL/ GRANT/ MONUMENT/ COMMITTEE" with blue silk ribbon overlay printed in gold "RECEPTION/ COMMITTEE."
Only days after Ulysses S. Grant's death on July 23, 1885, the Grant Monument Association was formed. Plans for the monumental tomb ensued, and ground was finally broken on April 27, 1891. On April 27, 1897, the 75th Anniversary of Grant's birth, the Tomb was dedicated. The dedication day parade featured 60,000 marchers, led by the West Point corps of cadets, and was observed by over one million onlookers. This ribbon was probably worn by a member of the Monument Association.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.