Residence of Thaddeus David, New Rochelle, New York
Black ink and gray wash, graphite, white lead pigment, and scratching out with touches of brown ink on paper
Overall: 12 x 16 5/8 in. ( 30.5 x 42.2 cm )
Inscribed at lower center outside image in brown ink: "Residence of T. David New Rochelle G Hayward. del. 1855"
The home of Thaddeus David, an ink manufacturer, is on David's Island in Long Island Sound off the New Rochelle shore and near Glen Island. David was long a resident of the community and the island was known by his name for half a century of more. In 1862 he leased the island to the United States government, and during the civil war a large military hospital was established there.
Gift of Robert G. Goelet
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.