Residence of Dr. Alexander Anderson, Orchard Street, New York City
Black ink and wash with touches of white gouache on paper
Overall: 11 3/8 x 7 1/2 in. ( 28.9 x 19 cm ) mat: 14 x 11 in. ( 35.6 x 27.9 cm )
signature and date: lower right: "Hosier" inscription: lower center: "Dr. Anderson's Residence/in Orchard St."
Signed at lower right inside image in black ink: "Hosier"; at lower center below image: "DR ANDERSON'S RESIDENCE / IN ORCHARD ST."
In 1859 Dr. Alexander Anderson (1775-1870) (q.v.), first known engraver on wood in the United States, moved from Broome Street to this house at 157 Orchard Street, between Rivington and Stanton streets, where he lived until 1866. A watercolor by E.L. Lewis of one of his two Broome Street homes is also in the Society's collection.
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.