Remington Rolling Block Military Rifle
Wood, iron, steel, leather
Overall: 50 7/8 in. ( 129.2 cm ) Part (barrel): 33 7/8 in. (86 cm)
stamped: barrel tang: "REMINGTONS' ILION, N.Y. U.S.A./PAT. MAY 3D. NOV. 5TH 1864, APRIL 17TH 1866" incised: left buttstock: "F"
Wood, iron, steel, and leather rifle; iron furniture;stamped mark on barrel tang; incised letter on left buttstock; brown leather sling.
Developed in the late 1860's by Joseph Rider, Remington rolling blocks were among the breech-loading rifles and carbines that replaced the muzzle-loading firearms that had been used during the Civil War, and became the standard American weapons of the postwar years. According to accession records, this rifle was found in an evacuated trench on San Juan Hill, Cuba, after the capture of the hill by American forces on July 1, 1898.
Gift of Lyman L. McCarty
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.