Redware fragments (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 3/8 x 1 x 1/8 in. ( 3.5 x 2.5 x 0.3 cm )
Redware fragments excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; one body and one rim fragment with clear glaze on exterior, light-blue glaze on interior.
These fragments were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th Street in Washington Heights. They were stored with the Reginald Bolton Collection in the Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. They were owned by soldiers, by a member of a soldier's family or by another civilian in camp, or were obtained from local residents.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.